Sunday, September 24, 2017

SELBY SURRENDERS

End of the line for prison escapees

Escaped prisoner Hassan Atwell who was shot by members of a rival gang in the early hours of yesterday morning. Police have classified the killing as a murder.


HOURS after his second accomplice was shot dead, prison escapee Christopher “Monster” Selby last night surrendered to police.

Head of corporate communications at the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) Ellen Lewis confirmed Selby's surrender via telephone last night.

Selby, 30, walked into the Barataria Police Station around 7.25 p.m. and gave himself up, Lewis said.

He was accompanied by two people.

Selby claims he is fearful for his life.

Selby, Hassan Atwell, 41, and Allan “Scanny” Martin, 42, staged a daring daylight jailbreak from the Port of Spain prison around 12.30 p.m. on Friday.

Both Martin and Atwell were shot dead under differing circumstances after the escape.

The three prisoners managed to get their hands on two 9mm firearms and a hand grenade which they used to escape from the Frederick Street prison.

They pointed their weapons at a group of prison officers and ordered a gate attendant at the jail to open the doors.

With their weapons fully visible, they then ran to a dark-blue four-wheel-drive Nissan Navara, which was parked on the roadway outside the prison, in an attempt to flee the scene.

One of the men threw the grenade on to the roadway and it landed in the drain in front of the prison.

It did not go off.

There was a chase through Port of Spain and Allan “Scanny” Martin, 42, was killed in a shoot-out with police at the Port of Spain General Hospital on Friday afternoon.

PC Sherman Maynard, 27, was killed during the prisoners' dash for freedom.

Atwell was murdered on Sunday morning by the hands of warring gang members.

Atwell was found dead on the compound of the Servol Sunshine Hill Life Centre, at Calvary Hill, East Dry River, Port of Spain.

Atwell's murder brings the toll to 231 so far this year, compared to 248 for the same period in 2014.

Selby was the last man standing.

He is facing two murder charges.

Earlier, Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams had called for the public's assistance in locating Selby.

National Security Minister Brig Carl Alfonso had said earlier he anticipated Selby would be either shot dead or apprehended by yesterday.

Selby is expected to be charged with escaping lawful custody.