Sunday, September 24, 2017

Roof-man electrocuted while toting steel beam

where it happened: The building under construction on Canaan Road, Duncan Village, San Fernando, where Stanley Thomas was electrocuted yesterday. —Photo: TREVOR WATSON


la romaine
 
A man, who was electrocuted while working on a roof at an apartment complex in La Romaine, died at the San Fernando General Hospital yesterday.
Stanley Thomas, 53, was carrying a steel beam when it came into contact with high-tension wires around 9.45 a.m.
The building is under construction at Canaan Road.
A construction worker, Nickchan Ramdial, said he was on the lower floor when he heard the man’s screams.
“They say ‘Tall Man’ getting shocked. I ran up the scaffolding and saw that he came in contact with the high-tension wires. Someone hit him down and I held on to him. He was bleeding from the head. I held on to him until the ambulance arrived,” he said.
Fire appliances from Mon Repos Fire Station and Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC) employees responded to the report.
Fire officers assisted in removing Thomas from the 20-foot high building.
Thomas, of Maracas, St Joseph, was taken to San Fernando General Hospital where he died while undergoing treatment.
Ramdial said: “We started working together about two weeks before Christmas. He was a good man. We had a Christmas lime and he was very happy. This morning we make jokes and then started to work.”
San Fernando CID officers are continuing investigations.