Trinidad and Tobago's senior men national football team's CONCACAF zone final round World Cup qualifying campaign suffered another setback with the resignation of newly appointed head coach Tom Saintfiet on Wednesday.
The Belgian, who took up the position on December 7 last year following the dismissal of Stephen Hart, tendered his resignation to Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John Williams via letter on Tuesday evening, after enduring a month on the job with little success. In the four matches T&T played with Saintfiet at the helm, the team posted a 3-1 victory over Nicaragua while suffering defeats at the hands of Nicaragua, Suriname and Haiti.
Trinidad and Tobago's head coach Tom Saintfiet issues instructions to his players during their CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifier against Suriname at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on January 4. Photo: Dexter Philip
Speaking with the Express, TTFA's director of communications Shaun Fuentes said, "Saintfiet issued a letter indicating his resignation to the president last night (Tuesday). The president relayed the information to the technical committee and his resignation was accepted."
Fuentes said he was unable to comment on the reason for Saintfiet's decision to quit, but a mandate was given for the TTFA to find a head coach in the shortest possible time.
T&T sit fifth on the six-team table with zero points from two matches and have two all-important matches in March where they battle Panama on the 24 and Mexico four days later. Both matches will be contested at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.