Friday, December 15, 2017

The great escape of Vicky Boodram: How did she do it?

Businesswoman Vicky Boodram.

DETAILS are beginning to emerge about how fraud accused businesswoman Vicky Boodram allegedly “escaped” prison custody on Monday.

Her disappearance has called into question the protocols of both the police and prison service.

The Express is being told that shortly before 6p.m Monday, Court and Process police officers visited the women's section of the Golden Grove Prison and requested that Boodram accompany them to “night court”.

Prison authorities allowed her to be signed out and taken away. She never came back.

There is no such thing as a “night court” in Trinidad or Tobago.

The officers involved in the prison visit are now the subjects of a police investigation.

Meanwhile, there is an alert out to all Customs and Immigration officers to be on the lookout in the event Boodram attempts to leave Trinidad and Tobago.

Boodram has 109 fraud charges pending in the San Fernando court. These are linked to failed cruise ship packages.

Her estranged husband, Ravi Arjoonsingh, with whom she was a director of Travel and Ship Ahoy Cruise Ltd, was also charged with taking millions of dollars from 109 people through fraudulent means and transferring the money to himself and the company in 2010.

 Boodram also faces three charges of a similar nature in Siparia.

 In 2016, more fraud charges were laid against Boodram, including obtaining property in the sum of $216,000 by fraud. These four charges, laid by PC Bernard, were transferred to San Fernando after she appeared in Port of Spain on 40 new fraud charges.

 Before these charges were laid, Boodram had appeared at the San Fernando court on two cases of money laundering after she allegedly purchased a $629,000 E-Class Mercedes-Benz and a $2 million house in Palmiste using forged documents.

 In an alert issued by the Chief Immigration Officer on Tuesday, it was advised by Boodram had escaped and that “she may attempt to depart the jurisdiction. Officers are instructed that she is not to be allowed to depart. Furthermore, if she is sighted at any port, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service is to be contacted immediately”.