Friday, December 15, 2017

He raped an infant...Convict sentenced

Convicted: Conrad Matthias (left) on his way to prison. Photo: TREVOR WATSON


CONRAD MATTHIAS has been sentenced to 22 years for the rape of a five-year-old child.

Matthias, 61, however maintained his innocence.

A jury last month took about an hour to find Matthias guilty for having sexual intercourse with a female under the age of 14 years. The offence happened on a date unknown between December 31 2006 and January 8 2008.

The girl who is now a teenager, gave evidence during the trial heard before the San Fernando Third Criminal Court. She said it was hurting but she had to obey what Matthias said. The girl was medically examined and photographs were taken of the scene.

Her mother who was also called as a witness for the prosecution, was hesitant to testify and State attorney Sarah De Silva deemed her a hostile witness.

Matthias against whom a warrant was issued after investigations were by conducted by constable Irmaine Johnson, exercised his right not to take the witness stand or call witnesses on his behalf.

Justice Maria Wilson on Wednesday recounted the evidence in the case.

It was said that the girl asked to go to the parlour with her mother and Matthias's two daughters but he said she could not accompany them. The girl was left behind. Matthias who was then between 48 to 50 years old, told her to go to his bedroom and take off her clothes.

He took off his pants and underwear. After the sexual assault which lasted about five minutes, Matthias went to the window. He told the child her to put on her clothes as her mother was coming. He told the girl to act like nothing happened.

NOTE: A full story on this case will be published in the Thursday edition of the Trinidad Express