A GRANDMOTHER and four men accused of sexually assaulting two girls have been denied bail for a second time.
Shelly Ann Springer, 40, her son Tarik Alleyne, 22, Jonathan Cummings, 19, and his brother Tyrell Cummings, 20, and Carlon Singh, 18, were once more remanded into custody by magistrate Michelle Maharajh Brown.
The five were denied bail at their court appearance last week Friday and ordered to return to the Princes Town Court on Tuesday.
Attorneys Petronella Basdeo and Ashley Badal represented Springer, Alleyne and Tyrell Cummings while Jonathan Cummings was represented by attorney Roland Bain. Singh who turned 18 on Sunday was unrepresented.
The five were charged were under the Children's Act by corporal Nicole St John of the Child Protection Unit.
It is alleged that Springer, on a day unknown between January 1 and December 31 2015, at New Grant Princes Town sexually penetrated a female child aged ten years old. It was also alleged that during that period she twice sexually touched the child.
Alleyne faced two charges that on a day unknown between the same period - January 1 and December 31 2015 - he sexually penetrated the ten-year-old.
Singh was charged with sexually penetrating this alleged victim between January 1 and December 31 2016. He was also charged that twice on a day unknown between July 1 and August 31 2017 in Princes Town, he sexually penetrated and once sexually touched a 12-year-old.
Jonathan Cummings was charged that between July 1 and August 31 2017 in Princes Town he sexually penetrated the 12-year-old female.
His brother Tyrell Cummings faced three charges of sexual penetration and one charge of sexually touching the 12-year-old between the same period and at the same location in Princes Town.
The five were remanded into custody last week Friday for a tracing of their criminal record to be presented before bail was considered.
The court was told that none of them have previous convictions.
Police prosecutor Sgt Shazeed Mohammed however objected to bail. Mohammed cited the seriousness of the offence, the ages of the alleged victims, the status of one of the victims who is four to five months pregnant, fear that the accused will interfere with the alleged victims if granted bail and their places of abode.
Basdeo however said her clients were willing to live out of the area and also abide by any bail conditions attached.
Bain agreed and also said that his client had one charge and consideration of his bail should be treated differently.
The magistrate said she considered the submissions from both sides and denied bail.
The case was adjourned to January 9.
It is their right to apply for a judge for bail and the Express was told that attorneys Basdeo and Badal made the application following the court appearance. This matter will be heard by a judge next week Thursday.