Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The bizarre case of the unclaimed baby's bones

The house where the remains of the baby was found.


Back in 2016 the remains of a baby girl were found wrapped in a blanket on a bed in Point Fortin.

Those tiny bones remain in a bag on a shelf at the Forensic Science Centre in St James.

Blood samples were taken from a 40-year-old woman and her three teenage children found in the house when police arrived.

But more than a year later the remains have not been identified.

The woman and her three children were sleeping in the same bedroom as the decomposing corpse, police said.

The family was detained and interviewed by investigators for five days. But no charges were laid.

The woman claimed she was the mother of the child but neighbours remember seeing one of her young daughters pregnant earlier that year.

Further enquiries by police officers found that her 18-year-old daughter had given birth to the child in February that year and named her Mercy.

The child's birth was never registered. Her birth date, however, was scribbled on a piece of paper which gave her age as 10 months.

The baby is alive!

Following her release, the 40-year-old woman told the Express that no human remains were ever found at the house and she would reveal baby Mercy to the media soon.

She claimed that the child was alive and was being kept safely at a secret location.

To this day the baby has not resurfaced.

The woman told the Express she would not be claiming the remains as baby Mercy was not dead.

An autopsy performed by pathologist Dr Eslyn McDonald-Burris was unable to confirm the cause of death and samples were taken for further testing.

The TTPS Victim Support Unit had contacted the woman and her children for counselling.

Now the woman and her children have gone separate ways.

She removed the police caution tape and returned to the house.

The teenage mother, however, suffered a mental breakdown, the Express was told.

Last month, the teen was seen wandering through the streets of Point Fortin.

Neighbours claim the family had refused help and asked to be left alone.

A senior officer at the South Western Division said the matter was still being investigated.