Hike to Mount Thabor this Sunday
On Sunday, Island hikers family hike to Mt Thabor and Mount St Benedict.
The Abbey at Mount St Benedict is situated 183 metres (600 feet) above sea level and is a significant tourist attraction providing spiritual guidance to Christians and non-Christians. At the entrance to the monastery, there is a large sign on which is written in Latin “PAX”; meaning a place where peace reigns. In October 2012, The Abbey of Mount St Benedict celebrated its 100th anniversary.
In 1911, Abbot Dom Mayeul de Caigny of Brazil wrote to the Archbishop of Port of Spain John Pius to establish a Benedictine foundation in Trinidad. On January 17, 1912, Dom Mayeul purchased from Andrew Victoriano Gomez a small estate in the hills called Tunapuna meaning “way of the water”. The asking price was 4,000 pounds, and the first building was a tapia hut. The first mass to be celebrated was on the August 10, 1913. During 1912-1918, a church, guesthouse, workshop, living quarters and kitchen constructed. By 1918, the daily crowds increased to such an extent that the monks needed to find a more secluded place for recollection and study.
Mt Thabor at 564.2 metres (1,851 feet) above sea level was the location chosen to construct this additional monastery. This was to accommodate young monks studying theology and those seeking seclusion from the daily visitors. By 1922, the mansion at Mt Thabor contained 15 rooms, a chapel, a large hall and two towers 40 feet high. Reserved on each side of the tower were the Papal Flag and the Union Jack which could be seen from miles around. This was a place of solitude and the public had to obtain written permission in order to visit. However, the property became abandoned due to the difficulty to reach there and carry supplies.
Today all that is left of this majestic building is some concrete ruins. The rugged elements of nature have destroyed the wooden tapia structure. The mountain side venerable to bush fires caused the forestry division to plant pine trees to preserve the forest. The walk will take 35 minutes, but at the top, one will be transform into another world. The grandeur of the pine trees and peaceful
Mount atmosphere are like no other. The cool breeze blowing across the mountain top creates a relaxing sensation. There are breath-taking views of the surrounding Maracas St Joseph country-side, the East-West Corridor and the Central Plains.
Assembly for the trip is from 7 a.m. at Hilo Car Park, St Augustine. Departure is at 8 a.m. Hiking time to the top is 35 minutes with a downhill return lasting 20 minutes.
For details contact Mario at 749-2956 or visit islandhikers.com