If you love being the last-minute shopper, here is a guide that might make purchasing a toy a little easier.
When it comes to toys, it is a battle of old school versus new school.
Board games like Monopoly, Scrabble, Uno and Bingo are slightly being edged out this year by remote-controlled cars; miniature toy-like cookware that can actually bake stuff and dolls that can talk, sing and even wet themselves, said Keisha Waters, sales clerk at Excellent City in Port of Spain.
Even the popular Barbie doll has been pushed aside for goth-like dolls of the television show Monster High, she added.
Glow-in-the-dark toys, toys that make music and interactive educational games are also being quickly snatched up by parents this year.
Waters admitted even some of their more popular brands like Fisher Price and Play School that have done well in the past are not in as high demand this year.
It seems Transformers and Hot Wheels are getting the nod from children for this Christmas season, Waters said.
“The boys are into cars, while the girls are into Baby Alive dolls that can sing lullabies, spit up and cry,” she said.
The Baby Alive dolls are very life-like and also come with accessories.
Waters said, “Another popular seller is the Smithsonian telescope and the glow-in-the-dark volcano. The prices for these items range from $150 to $300.”
While many of us have memories of waking up Christmas morning and playing a favourite board game, it seems households this year will have even more sounds to look forward to.
1. Sales clerk at Best Wishes Gift Store, Port of Spain, Comlee Maraj, shows off one of the latest toys for the season — musical stuffed animals.
2. Hot Wheels car sets have always been a favourite with boys, and even some adults.
3. Many little girls dream of items like this Easy Bake oven, a Baby Alive doll and Bedtime Baby Doll found at Excellent Stores, Port of Spain.
4. These dolls take girls to Monster High or make them Disney or Barbie Princesses.
5. For the budding scientist, there are the Smithsonian Rocket Science and Space Theatre sets.
6. Sudoku for those with patience.
7. Pictionary is a great party game.
8. Uno is a card game everyone can play.
9. It’s very likely that a family will be introduced to the Monopoly game this year.
—Photos: ANISTO ALVES