The Lions Club of Les Efforts annual Academic Scholarship Award Programme is a club activity that was started some thirteen years ago. Eleven deserving primary school students were outfitted with new uniforms, books and stationery supplies during the month of August in preparation for their new class.
This year the function was held at San Fernando Girls Anglican School on Saturday 2nd August 2014. Mr. Dominic Dos Santos was the motivation speaker for the function and he delivered a well-received presentation to the children and their parents. This year eleven children were awarded the scholarships. The schools and children that benefited from the programme this year were as follows:
1. AALIYAH FELMIN – SAN FERNANDO GIRLS’ANGLICAN
2. PRECIOUS JOSEPH – SAN FERNANDO GIRLS’ ANGLICAN
3. AFISHA THOMAS – SAN F’DO SDA PRIMARY SCHOOL
4. DANIEL MC DOUGAL – SAN F’DO SDA PRIMARY SCHOOL
5. AMY JAGGAN – MARABELLA GIRLS’ ANGLICAN SCHOOL
6. CASSIDY ADONIS – MARABELLA GIRKLS’ANGLICAN SCHOOL
7. ANTHONY HAMLET – MARABELLA BOYS’ ANGLICAN SCHOOL
8. AARON TROTMAN – MARABELLA BOYS’ ANGLICAN SCHOOL
9. JASSIAH ROBERTS – ST. PAUL’S BOYS’ ANGLICAN SCHOOL
10. CORTNEY JACKSON – ST. PAUL’s BOYS’ ANGLICAN SCHOOL
11. ARJENTO LIAM LAI CHOY – SAN FERNANDO BOYS’R.C.
The club uses this initiative to fulfill its mandate of providing for and satisfying humanitarian needs in its community. Since it recognizes that pockets of poverty .
A major objective of the programme is to encourage and instill in students the awareness that hard work, self-discipline and good study habits bring positive reward. The criteria for selection include the student being successful at SEA, performing well behaviorally and academically and experiencing difficulty in acquiring much needed school uniform and supplies. Over the years almost two hundred children have benefited from this programme and based on letters and requests from parents and schools, the club sees the need for this project to continue and reach out to more students, to touch more lives and continue our excellence in service.