TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
2 1/2 quarts light chicken stock or low-sodium broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
3 1/4 cups arborio rice (1 pound 10 ounces)
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
Cover and keep hot over low heat.
In a heavy 6-quart pot or casserole, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over moderate heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
Crumble in the saffron threads and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
Add the rice and stir to coat thoroughly with butter, about 2 minutes.
Add the wine and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until evaporated.
Add enough hot stock to cover the rice (about 1 1/2 cups) and bring to a boil, stirring.
Reduce the heat to moderate.
Cook, stirring the rice constantly, until the stock has been absorbed.
Continue adding the stock, 1 1/2 cups at a time, and stirring until it is absorbed before adding more; the risotto is done when the rice is just tender and the liquid is thick, about 25 minutes total.
Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the cheese.
Season the risotto with salt and pepper and serve.
The risotto can be prepared through Step 2 (with all but the last 2 cups of stock added) and kept at room temperature for 1 hour.
Bring the risotto to a simmer over moderately high heat, stirring constantly.
Stir in the reserved 2 cups of stock and cook until the risotto is creamy before proceeding.
Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
3 cups fresh strawberries
2 oz/ 1 leaf gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
Whole strawberries and whipped cream for garnish
1. Wash and hull strawberries. Cut each in half and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
3. Pour pureed strawberries into gelatin and stir until combined. The mixture should be room temperature at this point. If not, refrigerate until cool.
4. Whip cream until stiff and fold into gelatin and strawberry mixture until well blended.
5. Spoon into individual serving dishes or keep in bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set.
Mango Apple and Blue Cheese Salad
READY IN: 30 mins
1 cup diced half ripe mango
1 cup diced tomato
1 onion chopped
1/8 cup cilantro chopped
2 oz lime juice
1/8 cup white sugar
10oz spinach leaves
10 oz mesculun leaves
2 cups diced apples
2 tbsp toasted almonds
½ cup blue cheese
1 tsp jalapeno
1. Whisk olive oil, 1/4 cup lime juice, sugar, cumin together in a bowl; set aside.
2. Toss ingredients in a bowl except blue cheese.
3. Sprinkle lime dressing over salad and top with bleu cheese.
Note from chef: If you are not a fan of blue cheese you can substitute with brie.