Friday, December 15, 2017

How do I replace my visa in my stolen passport?


How do I go about getting a replacement for my visa that was stolen last week? The visa is still valid for another five years.


Thank you for your question; we are very sorry to hear that your passport was stolen. When your passport is stolen, the first step we recommend is going to the police to report your passport stolen. This advice holds true whether your passport was stolen in Trinidad and Tobago, the United States or any other country. The next step is to e-mail the embassy to let us know the valid visa was stolen as well. This allows us to ensure no one uses your visa improperly. To do this, all you need to do is e-mail us at Please include your full name, date of birth, passport number and a copy of the police report. If your visa is lost and not stolen, we also recommend that you inform the embassy that the visa was lost, via e-mail.

Once you have reported your passport and visa as stolen, you can begin the process of getting a new passport and visa. The first step is to get a new passport. Once you have done that, you should apply for a new United States visa well before your planned travel to the US. You must reapply and requalify for a new non-immigrant visa. To do this, you should follow our normal visa application process which you can find on our website at

We recommend that you apply for your new visa as soon as possible. We currently have a very short wait period for visa inter­views of only a few days. As we get closer to the busy summer travel season, we expect wait times to increase. Applying now for your new visa will help avoid any delays.