Monday, February 19, 2018

I lost my green card


Mark Fraser


I am a US green-card 

holder. I’ve been in Trinidad for the past three months. Now that I’m planning my 

return trip to the US, I can’t find my green card. It seems that I’ve misplaced it. What can I do to be able to travel back to the US? Is there 

a letter that the embassy 

can give me to travel?


Many legal permanent residents, or green-card hold­ers, travel between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago. Legal permanent residency affords holders the right to live and work in the United States. However, it is required to have a valid legal permanent resident card whenever you depart or enter the US.

If your card is lost, stolen or expired, you may apply for a boarding foil, which allows you to return to the United States where you can apply for a replacement card. This is a single-use travel document issued in your valid passport or other travel document. If your passport was also lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement before applying for a boarding foil.

Applications for boarding foils are accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7.30 to 9  a.m. Applicants should bring a valid passport, the expired green card or a police report, application form I-90 and a passport photo. Processing can take several days, so it is important that you check to ensure you have valid travel documents, including legal permanent resident cards, before you plan to travel. Applicants are encouraged not to make firm travel plans until their passports have been returned.

If you have been outside the United States for more than one (1) year, the US Customs and Immigration Services may determine that you have lost your legal permanent resident status. Individuals who have lost their legal status in the US may either reapply for a returning resident visa or must file a new immigrant visa petition. 

—For more information on maintaining status, please 

see the US Customs and 

Immigration Services 

website at