A MAN charged with raping three girls was yesterday denied bail when he appeared before the Couva court.
He was remanded into custody until next year.
Yesterday, Couva Senior Magistrate Lucina Cardenas-Ragoonanan read the sexual charges to the 30-year-old labourer.
The first alleged that between September 1, 2011 and February 17, 2012 at Gran Couva, he had sexual intercourse with one child who is under the age of 14.
He faced a similar charge which allegedly occurred between September 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012.
The senior magistrate read the third charge that between July 18, 2011 and November 30 this year, the man had sexual intercourse with another child who is above the age of 14, without her consent.
All charges were laid by constable Soodeen.
Police prosecutor Sgt Peter Francis objected to bail saying that the crime was of a serious nature and it was also prevalent in society.
He also said the accused man’s criminal background was yet to be checked.
“Certainly I would want to get a tracing,” Cardenas-Ragoonanan said.
Defence attorney Anisah Mohammed said that his sister was willing to have him live with her in La Romaine.
Cardenas-Ragoonanan ordered that he apply to a judge for bail and the matter was adjourned to January 13.
It was over the weekend that the man was charged after an 18-year-old female made reports to the police that she and the other girls had been facing sexual abuse at the hands of a relative for the past two years.