JOINED Case: Jameel Garcia, the 13th person to be charged for alleged involvement in the kidnapping and murder of businesswoman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman, leaves the Port of Spain Magistrates Court yesterday. —Photo: ROBERTO CODALLO

Tools

13th suspect charged in Vindra murder case

By Rickie Ramdass rramdass@trinidadexpress.com

THE list of people brought before the courts charged with the kidnapping and murder of businesswoman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman, continues to grow, as another man was yesterday brought before Chief Magistrate Sherman McNicolls.

Jameel "Wasa" Garcia, was the thirteenth person to be brought before McNicolls in the Port of Spain Eight Court, for the alleged involvement in Naipaul-Coolman's kidnapping and murder, which took place sometime between December 18, 2006 and May 12, 2007 at Upper La Puerta, Diego Martin.

State prosecutor Kerriann Byer told the court that Garcia, 25, "is going to be joined to the others (Raphael Williams and Dwayne Gloster) for the indictment of the matter."

Their matters are still before the Chief Magistrate. Williams faces two charges of kidnapping and murdering Naipaul-Coolman, while Gloster faces one charge for kidnapping the businesswoman.

Dressed in a bright blue T-shirt and blue jeans, Garcia stood in silence as the charges were read. He was unrepresented.

On August 6, last year, ten of the accused men—Shervon Peters, Keida Garcia, brothers Earl and Marlon Trimmingham, Ronald Armstrong, Antonio Charles, Joel Fraser, Lyndon James, Allan "Scanny" Martin and Devon Peters were all committed to stand trial at the High Court for the kidnapping and murder of the Xtra Foods CEO. They are still awaiting trial.

Garcia was arrested early Monday morning at his home at Upper La Puerta, Diego Martin, by officers of the West End Police Station who was on an exercise in the area. Police said they were on the look-out for Garcia for some time, and that he is the last known suspect in the crime. He will return to court on July 30.

Naipaul-Coolman, 52, was snatched from her Lange Park, Chaguanas, home on

December 19, 2006, while pulling into her driveway.

The kidnappers had demanded a $3 million ransom for her safe release, and part of it was paid, but she was not freed.

Her body was also never found.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should there be police investigations into the killing of Ricardo Mohammed and the three men in Laventille last week?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather