A 14-year-old boy, charged previously with robbery with violence, was yesterday told to apply to a judge for bail on a new charge of attempted murder.
The teenager stood before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington with his parents at his side.
He was charged with attempting to murder 16-year-old Christophe Grenville Tarodale on December 23 last year.
Grenville was said to be in a stable condition at hospital, with a gunshot wound to the neck.
It is alleged that he was shot during an argument.
The accused boy was yesterday represented by attorney Jason Jackson, who said his client was born in 1999.
Jackson admitted that the teenager was charged about a year ago with robbery with violence and had also been charged in the past for possession of marijuana.
But the attorney said his client had a heart murmur which required him to visit the hospital and also take medication daily.
He asked for bail for the boy with conditions being attached.
But Wellington, presiding in the San Fernando Magistrates’ Court, said the teen was on bail when he was charged with this more serious offence.
He advised that the bail application be made before the High Court.
The boy was remanded to the Youth Training Centre to re-appear in court on February 11.
Jackson asked that the matter be transferred to another court.
He said that given the heavy workload in the First Court, his client may become an adult before the case was heard.
The request was denied by the magistrate.