Tuesday, February 20, 2018

2 more shot dead

...Third victim critical in hospital

TWO more men were murdered in separate incidents in Belmont and La Horquetta on Thursday night, carrying the country’s murder toll for the year so far to 32.

In the first incident, Clevon Manswell, 27, of Hermitage Road, Belmont, was shot and killed along Belmont Valley Road, police reported.

The other man, Dion Mitchell, also 27, was murdered as he sat in the gallery of a friend’s home at Phase Seven, La Horquetta, just one day after another man was murdered in the area.

Investigating officers said Manswell left home in the company of a friend around 7.30 p.m. to go to Belmont Valley Road. Manswell they said, entered his friend’s car which then drove off.

Officers said, upon bringing the car to a stop after reaching their destination, Manswell came out of the vehicle and was standing along the roadway.

As he came out of the car, another car pulled up close by with the occupants opening fire before speeding off.

Manswell they said was hit several times about his body and slumped to the ground. His friend placed him back into the car and rushed him to the Port of Spain hospital but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police said they believed the men may have been followed to the area by the gunmen. However, they said they were unable to give a motive for the killing.

Only half-an-hour after Manswell was killed, Mitchell was shot dead while in the company of his friend Everald Gibbs.

Investigators said both men were sitting in the gallery of Gibbs’s home when a car pulled up nearby and the occupants opened fire.

Both men were shot about their bodies. Police said Mitchell then ran out of the house and into the roadway where he collapsed and died.

Gibbs, who was shot to the chest, was taken to hospital where he remained warded in a critical condition up to yesterday evening.

Police said they were not ruling out the possibility that the incident may be linked to another murder in the area on Wednesday night.

Investigators said they do not believe either men was involved in that incident but all possible leads had to be explored.

Around 10 p.m. on Wednesday Jabari Thompson, 19, and his brother Gerald were liming with friends at the corner of Evan Rees and Lucia Farrel lanes, Phase Four, La Horquetta, when a white car pulled up nearby.

Two men came out of the vehicle and approached the group with the brothers running into the home of a resident in the area.

The gunmen gave chase and cornered the brothers in the building before opening fire. Jabari was shot in the head and chest, while Gerald was shot to the leg.

As a result of the killing, residents in the area said they were bracing for more bloodshed.

Homicide officers are continuing investigations into the latest incidents.