Tools

25 street dwellers removed for holidays

Minister: Campaign to intensify

By Camille Bethel camille.bethel@trinidadexpress.com

The Ministry of the People and Social Development managed to remove just about 25 street dwellers off the streets of Port of Spain over the Christmas holidays but has promised to intensify its campaign in the coming weeks.

In a brief telephone interview yesterday Minister of the People Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh told the Express “All in all we did in fact pick up at the end of the day I think there were about 25 persons removed just in that two day period but as you know from January 15 we will be stepping up the campaign and we intend to at least pick up 150 more within the period 15 to March 16. So that is what the Ministry is working at right now”.

On the eve of Christmas Eve last year Ramadharsingh informed the media that his Ministry would continue with it’s annual Christmas pick-up of street dwellers which was started at 5 p.m. and carried out until midnight.

He said in 2012 the Ministry picked up 165 of the 1,150 street dwellers in the country, of which approximately 425 to 460 were in Port of Spain, but they were targeting between 25 and 40 persons who voluntarily wanted to get off the streets in 2013. 

Ramadharsingh, also spoke of the Ministry’s plans to have four sustained campaigns from January to March this year to deal more effectively with the issue of street dwelling.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Are you experiencing the benefits of the $1 billion worth in water projects since 2010?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust

Weather

More Weather