A 72-YEAR-OLD man and a 17-year-old boy were among three people to be killed in less than 24 hours between Tuesday night and yesterday afternoon.
The deaths of pensioner Pascall Romero and Quincy Proster together with that of bartender Tyron Emmanuel Achaia, who was killed outside his Freeport home on Tuesday night, have taken the country's murder toll for the year so far to 21. For the corresponding period last year, the toll stood at 22.
Police said Romero was called to his death by a man who came knocking at his door before pulling out a gun and shooting him several times about the body.
Investigators said at around 6.30 a.m., Romero, of Passion Lane, Caparo, was at home with his wife having breakfast when he heard a knock on the front door.
After answering the call and opening the door, officers said the gunman, who was dressed in blue jeans and white shirt politely told Romero 'good morning' before whipping out the gun and opening fire.
Romero was shot to the chest before falling to the ground where he died. The killer then escaped on foot.
A team of officers led by Supt Baldeo Nanan and including Insps Wayne Baptiste and David, visited the scene and conducted enquiries.
Officers said they did not have a motive for the killing. Woman Corporal Williams of the Region II Homicide Bureau of Investigations is continuing enquiries into the murder.
In the other incident, Proster, of Crystal Drive, off the Lady Young Road in Morvant, was standing along Cipriani Street around 1 p.m., when he was approached by a lone gunman who opened fire on him, said police. He was hit to the upper body and died on the scene.
In a telephone interview yesterday evening, Proster's mother, Avion Andrews said her son was employed at Neal and Massy Motors where he washed vehicles and had gone to the Russell Latapy Secondary School to collect a recommendation to carry back to his place of work.
He was a past student of the school and was also expecting to become a father soon, said Andrews.
She said Proster was an avid footballer who "had a love for the ladies." "All I know is that he went to the school to get a recommendation and when he was leaving, he was talking to some friends on the road when a car pulled up and a man come out and shot him.
"He was a real cool person. He was a cheerful guy. He would never get himself in trouble with the law because he knows I would never tolerate that type of thing. This is so not fair," said Andrews.
Meanwhile Elton Regis, 52, who was among five people including an 11-year-old boy to be shot in a drive-by shooting while standing at Plaisance Road, John John, Port of Spain, on Monday night, died at hospital on Tuesday evening.
Regis, Ian Worrell, 46, his nephew Jubriel Worrell, 11, Samuel Oliver, 29, and Gershwin Thomas, 29, were all shot by occupants of a silver Mitsubishi Lancer motorcar around 8.30 p.m.
They were all taken to the Port of Spain Hospital where Regis died around 4 p.m. the following day. The boy was treated and later transferred to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC) in Mt Hope where he is still warded in a stable condition nursing a bullet wound to the back.