DOWN IT COMES: Contractors remove an illegal billboard at San Fernando Bypass on Monday. —Photo: INNIS FRANCIS

Tools

40 illegal billboards in Sando to be removed

By Sue-Ann Wayow sue-ann.wayow@trinidadexpress.com

FIVE advertising signs illegally erected in San Fernando were taken down on Monday by agents of the San Fernando City Corporation, who have identified at least 40 illegal structures.

The signs were taken to the corporation’s building at Carib Street, where the owners will be allowed to retrieve them.

The corporation’s first attempt to remove illegal signage on Monday was met with resistance by the owner of several of the billboards. However, the signs were eventually removed.

San Fernando Mayor Kasim Hosein yesterday appealed to owners of the signs and billboards to remove  them before the corporation acted.

Since January,  the mayor has been advising persons to remove such signs as well as derelict vehicles and dilapidated buildings.

Yesterday, Shaka Joseph, head of the Buildings, Urban Planning and Development Committee, said  at least 40 major signs will  be removed.

The corporation pays an average of $800 to have one sign removed, Joseph said.

 Owners will have to refund the corporation the money paid to remove the sign, he said.

He said  signs attached to buildings that hang over pedestrian walkways will also be removed.

 One of these signs fell and injured a masquerader on Carnival Tuesday at Pointe-a-Pierre Road, San 

Fernando.

 
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should there be police investigations into the killing of Ricardo Mohammed and the three men in Laventille last week?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather