Thursday, December 14, 2017

$90,000 bail for accused boy

Killing of Murchannah


leaving court: Anthony Lavia, the father of Murchannah Lavia, outside the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court yesterday. —Photo: Anisto Alves


THE FIFTEEN-year-old boy charged with the manslaughter of a female relative appeared yesterday before Port of Spain Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar where he was granted $90,000 bail and issued a number of restrictions that will curtail his movement until he has been tried.

The accused, who is a relative of victim Murchannah Lavia, legally cannot be named as he is a minor.

The name of the school where he is a fourth form pupil also cannot be given.

He is charged with the manslaughter of Lavia where it is alleged that on the night of March 19 he was playing with a gun that discharged, following which the 14-year-old pupil of Providence Girls Catholic School was shot in the chest.

He was brought to court shortly after 11 a.m. yesterday. The victim’s father, Anthony Lavia and mother, Omadavee Lavia were present during the hearing before the Chief Magistrate.

He was not called upon to plead as the charges were laid indictably.

His attorney, Allan Meiguel began applying for bail and said that his client had a clean record and family who loved and supported him.

“He is the fourth of five children,” the attorney said, explaining that the boy’s siblings were either gainfully employed or enrolled in programmes that would help them to become employed.

He said his client’s father did two jobs and that their family was assisted by other relatives.

“The accused has a clean slate and he and (the deceased) were very close so it is very tragic because this child is in need of counselling and the love of family, and him being incarcerated and locked up will serve no purpose,” said Meiguel.

He added that the accused was not a flight risk and his family would make sure that he comes to court.

Police Prosecutor Sgt Timothy that prior to the March 19 incident, the boy had been home from school for two weeks. Sgt Timothy said he had been suspended from his school for fighting.

The Chief Magistrate granted the boy bail but his conditions include visiting the West End Police Station twice a week and he is to be home by 6 p.m. everyday. His failure to comply may result in his bail being revoked.

The matter was adjourned to April 24.