Activist: Stop negotiations
Nikita Braxton email@example.com
HEAD of the Debe to Point Fortin Highway Action Committee, Edward Moodie, yesterday appealed to Government to stop all negotiations with residents living along the proposed path of the highway.
Moodie said the National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco) should no longer enter into talks with home and land owners until there was dialogue with Government Ministers.
He made the call during a meeting at the Debe High School, attended by former works and infrastructure minister Jack Warner who is now the interim leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP).
It was Warner, when a minister, who held a series of meetings with the committee headed by Moodie, in which fair compensation for residents to be relocated was discussed.
On Monday, some residents blockaded villages between Penal and South Oropouche, demanding fair and just compensation for their home and land.
On Tuesday, Nidco stated that more than 100 residents had already accepted compensation and relocation.
Moodie, who has already been compensated for his property which is located along the proposed Debe to Fyzabad highway path, said that Nidco did not have maps that accurately showed where the highway would be passing, and that recent alterations to the highway design had left some confused.
Warner told residents that the promises he made to them was on behalf of the Government, which was reneging in its word almost every day.
Warner said had he remained the Works Minister, the promises would have been kept.
He said the time had come for the politicians to stop talking down to the people of the area, and to engage in meaningful dialogue.
Warner said he was not a fan of environmental activist Dr Wayne Kublalsingh, who is opposed to the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the highway, and said that the highway had to be built.
Those who attended the meeting agreed, by a show of hands, with the decision to stop negotiating with Nidco until there was more dialogue.