Saturday, December 16, 2017

‘Angel gone too soon’


TRAGIC LOSS: Kimora Millette

Mark Fraser

AN angel gone too soon.

That was how little Kimora Millette who died in a fire at her La Romaine home was described yesterday.

The four-year-old’s funeral service  was held at her home at Betsy Street and was attended by many wanting to pay tribute.

Loving, smart and inquisitive were the words used to describe the child who was loved by all, mourners said yesterday.

She was inseparable from her twin sister Kiara and loved to sing, dance and go to church. She loved the beach and only began to say the word “good-bye” in the last few weeks of her life said her aunt Mavian Acosta while delivering the eulogy.

Kimora’s classmates from Headstart Kindergarten did an emotional tribute of Kimora’s favourite song “You are my sunshine.”

One child later placed a single red rose on the closed airbrushed coffin.

Bishop Pete Wilson who officiated at the service said Kimora’s death was a reminder of how fragile life was and persons should live their lives pleasing to God always.

Minister in the Ministry of the People and Social Development Vernella Alleyne-Toppin, who had previously visited the family, attended the funeral.

The State has assisted with funeral expenses.

Last Tuesday, Kimora and her twin sister, Kiara, were dressed by their grandmother Brenda Millette, and left in a bedroom watching television as they awaited their school bus to take them to a nearby preschool. 

At around 8 a.m. Kiara ran to her grandmother, who was speaking to a neighbour at the front of the house, and said the bedroom was on fire. 

The grandmother, a neighbour, Donna Banfield, and the children’s 16-year-old cousin ran into the room, but it was already engulfed in flames. 

A bucket brigade was formed by neighbours and the blaze was extinguished, but the child could not be saved. 

Pathologist Dr Valery Alexandrov determined Kimora died from smoke inhalation, and not from the burns which may have occurred after her death.

The twins’ parents, Ronan Millette and Marsha Carabano, were at work when the fire took place.