Several of the women charged with soliciting for the purpose of prostitution, attempts to evade the media after appearing in the San Fernando Magistrates' Court yesterday. PHOTO by DEXTER PHILIP
Arrest warrants issued for two women charged with prostitution
Susan Mohammed email@example.com
WARRANTS have been issued for the arrests of two of the 52 women
who appeared in court yesterday charged with soliciting for prostitution. The two failed to appear along with the others before Magistrate Lisa Ramsmair-Hinds in the San Fernando First Magistrates' Court.
When the case was last heard on October 4, the State attorney told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) intended to continue prosecuting the women, based on the legal research and interpretation of the elements and nature of evidence.
The State had been asked by Magistrate Margaret Alert to consider whether it wanted to continue the prosecutions, after she threw out five cases.
Yesterday, 51 women from Dominican Republic and one from Colombia were due to reappear, charged with soliciting passers-by for the purpose of prostitution at Classic Seamen Hotel and Bar in Vistabella on March 8.
However, two did not show and warrants were issued. State attorney Chantal Hospedales said the State wanted to set one matter for trial and, based on the outcome of the matter, the DPP would decide on how to proceed with the others. Hospedales asked that the case of Joan Reyes be called.
However, defence attorney Shawn Sobers said he had sent a letter to the DPP's office, asking how the State intended to deal with the matter and was awaiting a response. The Reyes case was adjourned to December 12.
Regarding the warrants, the magistrate said when Santa Iris Cereno De Los Santo was arrested, she be granted $20,000 bail.
In the case of Rosa Brito, who told the court previously that she would be leaving the country tor return in November, the court also issued a warrant.
The cases against the others were adjourned to February 28.