FIRST-BORN SON: Baby Akilon Glasgow

Tools

Autopsy: Baby Akilon choked on his vomit

 POINT FORTIN


Three-day-old baby Akilon Glasgow, who was pronounced dead at the Point Fortin District Hospital on Monday, died as a result of asphyxiation from choking on his own vomit. 

An autopsy was performed on the tiny baby at the San Fernando mortuary yesterday. The report stated the baby died from consolidation of the left lung due to asphyxia secondary to aspiration.

The baby’s father, Akil Glasgow, said, “We were told the baby may have thrown up and then swallowed it causing him to choke.”

Glasgow said his wife was distraught by the death of her first-born child. “She is not doing well at all,” he said.

The couple, of Techier Village, Point Fortin, was preparing to bury their child yesterday. “We are now in the process of planning a funeral for our three-day-old baby. We are yet to confirm the date because we have to talk it over,” he said.

Glasgow said he was saddened by the number of children dying and renewed his call for the Minister of Health to intervene.

The couple had taken baby Akilon to the district hospital as his skin appeared discoloured, Glasgow said. “But the nurse looked at him and said he was okay and it will clear up. We also told her that the baby was not breast feeding. She gave us a baby formula and told us we can go home,” he said.

The child’s mother, Nikeisha Henry, fed the baby and put him to bed. But when she checked on him around 2 p.m, Henry said, the baby was motionless. The couple rushed their baby to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead on arrival.            —Carolyn Kissoon

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think another attempted coup is possible in Trinidad & Tobago?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather