Sunday, January 21, 2018

Autopsy: Brain haemorrhaging caused boy’s death

An autopsy done on the body of 14-year-old Brandon Hargreaves on Wednesday has revealed the teenager died as a result of haemorrhaging of the brain reportedly caused by the trauma suffered when his head hit the concrete floor of his dormitory on Tuesday night. 

On Tuesday, police reported Hargreaves was playing with another teenager in his dormitory at the St Michael’s School for Boys, Diego Martin, when he attempted to perform a drop-kick against his friend. 

The 14-year-old landed badly and hit his head against the concrete. He was rushed to the St James Medical Complex. However, he succumbed to his injuries around 10.25 p.m. that night. 

Speaking to Express yesterday, Hargreaves’ great-uncle, Clyde Mottley, noted while he has accepted the teenager’s death, something about the circumstances “didn’t sit well” with him, and he wanted to make a public call for a fair and transparent investigation.

“You mean all those people who are at that institution, all the cameras, the place is laced with supervision, and you mean this could happen right under their noses? I know they said he was wild playing when it happen, but something about it just doesn’t sit right with me. I loved that boy like my own son, and it hurt me to know how hard a life he had, and for his to happen just so. It’s heart breaking, especially since I had told him he would have seen me on Sunday and I was bringing him a sandals,” Mottley noted. 

He said that up to late yesterday, funeral arrangements were still being made. 

Investigations are continuing. 

On July 19, 2012, Hargreaves, who was 12-years-old at the time, was found imprisoned in a kennel with a dangerous dog at his home along Upper Valley Road, Cascade. He was treated at the Port of Spain General Hospital for puncture wounds, as a result of dog bites. Doctors also found the boy had marks about his body which showed he was beaten with a blunt instrument. 

Police had been told that on the night of July 18, the boy was accused of misbehaving, and as a result, he was reportedly refused dinner, stripped naked and then placed in the kennel as punishment by two male relatives. 

The following morning, neighbours said they saw the boy naked inside the kennel. 

The E999 Service was called and a party of officers, including WPC Beckles, PC Phillips, and PC McWilliams, went to the Cascade house and rescued the boy from the kennel. 

An investigation was launched by ASP Ajith Persad of the Port of Spain CID and charges were eventually laid against Hargreaves’s father, Nigel Hargreaves, his father’s cousin, Kendell Baptiste, and the his stepmother, Nasha Baboolal, by Cpl Kevin Ashing of the Belmont Police Station.

The matter, police sources said, is still pending before the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court.