Tools

Baby Simeon probe starting today

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

The probe into the death of baby Simeon, whose head was sliced into during Caesarean surgery, will begin today.
On March 1, Quelly Ann Cottle underwent a Caesarean section at the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital, during which her seven-month-old baby was cut on the head, resulting in his death. 
Dr Javed Chinnia has since been suspended, pending the outcome of an independent investigation.
Both Cottle and her husband, Emil Millington, called for an investigation into their baby’s death.
Baby Simeon was buried on March 19.
An autopsy found the baby died from a laceration to the head which caused massive blood loss and hypovolaemic shock, as well as prematurity with severe intrauterine growth retarda­tion.
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan appointed a team comprising of consultant obste­-
trician and gynaecologist attached to the University College London Hospitals Dr Melanie Clare Davies; Dr Petro­nella Manning-Alleyne, neonatologist and former head of the Neonatal Unit at the Port of Spain General Hospital; and retired Appeal Court judge Mustapha  Ibrahim.
The Express understands Davies was sche­duled to arrive in Trini­-
dad last night and will begin work with committee members today at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope.
The probe is expected to take four days—today, tomorrow and Monday and Tuesday of next week.
Ramlogan had said the committee would determine what went wrong, why it went wrong and what should be done to prevent it from recurring.
“It is going to be a no-holds-barred approach. I am going to encourage the committee to shoot from the hip and let us deal with the problem frankly and squarely,” he said last month.
Speaking to the Express yesterday, Cottle said she was relieved to hear the investigation will be starting.
She said she was called by hospital officials and informed of this.
“I am okay for now, I find they take real long, but thank God they are starting. We want to get answers as to what happened that day and why Simeon is not with us today,” said Cottle.
Let us know your thoughts
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think Patrick Manning should contest the San Fernando East seat in the 2015 general election?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather