Allan Thomas on his way to the Tunapuna Magistrates' Court today charged with the murder of his one year old son Jacob Munroe, and also with attempting to commit suicide. PHOTO by MICHEAL BRUCE

Tools

Baby in cesspit: Dad in court for murder

Allan Thomas also charged with attempted suicide

By Rickie Ramdass rickie.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

ALLAN Thomas appeared in the Tunapuna Magistrates' Court today charged with the murder of his one-year-old son, Jacob Monroe, some time between November 18 and 21.

The baby's body was discovered in a cesspit at the family home at Santa Rita Trace, Maracas Valley, St Joseph. The child died from a beating to the head.

Thomas, 27, was also charged with attempting to commit suicide on November 19 at the same address. Thomas, who is unemployed, appeared before Senior Magistrate Cheryl Ann Blake.

His attorney Fareed Ali made an application under the Mental Health Act, stating that if Thomas did in fact attempt to commit suicide, he should be referred to the St Anns' Hospital, Port of Spain for evaluation. Ali stated that if sent to prison, Thomas could be a threat to himself, and asked that the magistrate commit Thomas to the St Ann's Hospital.

However, the magistrate did not grant the request.

Ali submitted that while the court could not direct the prison authorities on where to house Thomas, he wanted to place it on record that he requested that the prisoner be kept in isolation in prison.

The Police Prosecutor said that the police would be getting a medical report from the Mt Hope Hospital some time this week regarding the health condition of Thomas, who appeared in court with his right wrist covered by a bandage.

Thomas was remanded in prison custody, and the case adjourned to Friday.

(This is an update to the original article below). 

HOMICIDE detectives were yesterday given instructions by Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard SC to lay a charge of murder against a male relative of one-year-old Jacob Munroe. 

The child’s dead body was found in a cesspit in the yard of his family’s home two weeks ago. An autopsy concluded that he died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head.

Additionally, officers also received instructions from Gaspard to charge the 26-year-old man with attempted suicide.

The charges were to be laid last night, with the suspect expected to appear in the Tunapuna Magistrates’ Court sometime today, said police.

He had been in custody since November 20, when the child’s body was discovered in the cesspit shortly after the relative reported to police that the toddler was kidnapped by three gunmen who stormed his Santa Rita Trace, Maracas Valley, St Joseph home.

The man made a telephone call to the police, informing them that the gunmen stormed the house and demanded he hand over a firearm which they said he had in his possession.

When he was unable to hand over the gun, the man told police the gunmen forced him to slit his own wrists and to ingest kerosene.

They then snatched the child and ran from the house, he told police. 

Later that day, officers carried out a search of the area surrounding the house and found the child in the pit of the outhouse.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Are you experiencing the benefits of the $1 billion worth in water projects since 2010?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust

Weather

More Weather