Saturday, December 16, 2017

Baby dies at Sando General

...Family claims negligence


in mourning: Abbi Francis, whose baby died after birth at San Fernando General Hospital on Saturday, with her husband Jason Francis and their daughter Afia at the family home in Princes Town yesterday. —Photo: DAVE PERSAD

(BI) Feedloader User

INSTEAD of celebrating the birth of her second daughter last week, Abbi Taylor is now mourning her child's death.

After 11 hours of labour pains, Taylor gave birth to the baby girl, whom she planned to name Jada.

She never got the opportunity as the baby died at San Fernando General Hospital three days later after her birth last Saturday.

Taylor's family are claiming negligence and plan to sue the hospital.

Taylor, 24, lives in Gasparillo but is staying with her stepmother Rhona Ferguson at Aldana Street in Princes Town. She also has a three-year-old daughter.

Ferguson said Taylor went to the hospital on Saturday at around 5 a.m. The baby was born at 6 p.m.

"She (the mother) was physically healthy. She did not drink any alcohol, she did not smoke right through her pregnancy. She did two ultrasounds, and everything was supposed to be okay. The baby was weighing about seven pounds inside the womb," said Ferguson

"The nurses, just by seeing the size of her belly, should have known that she could not deliver the baby normally. She looked like she was going to have twins.

Taylor said she begged the nurses who were monitoring her in the delivery room "to do something" to make delivery easier.

It was only when the nurses realised that the baby was not being delivered normally that a Caesarean section was performed.

However, Taylor's husband, Jason Francis, said: "They practically chopped her up to get the child out."

The baby's shoulder was dislocated during the process. Taylor said the baby never cried and had a grey complexion "like how the sky looks when it rains".

The child was ten and a half pounds when she born, Francis said.

The child was kept at the Intensive Care Unit where she died.

Francis has made a formal complaint to the South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA).

He said after the hospital performs an autopsy, a second one will be done by a private doctor.

The baby's funeral will take place next week.

Ferguson said her daughter needed counselling to deal with the tragic situation.

"The hospital sent her a sympathy card with a picture of the baby's foot print and a sample of her hair," she said.

Taylor said yesterday: "I can't function, I can't think, I can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes I am seeing her in the incubator."

SWRHA chairman Dr Lackram Bodoe expressed condolences to the family.

"Once a formal complaint is lodged it will be investigated by the Quality Department of the SWRHA and a report is forwarded to the board. I will not be able to make a comment until that report is forwarded."