Saturday, February 17, 2018

‘Bobo’ gunned down in Waterhole

...Cops ‘trying to keep the peace’

BETWEEN last Friday and Wednesday night there were a total of five murders in the Western Division, which has engaged the attention of the police, who said yesterday they were quietly doing what was necessary to “keep the peace”.

The latest killing occurred at 8.15 p.m. on Wednesday at the Sugar Trace, Waterhole, Cocorite home of Jason Lewis, 34, whose alias was “Bobo”.

 Police said Lewis was in the company of friends during a lime at his house when four masked gunmen stormed the yard and opened fire.

Lewis was hit five times about the body while a friend, David Ferguson, who was standing near to him, was shot twice, including once to the head and another to his chin.

Both men were taken by ambulance to St James Hospital, where Lewis was pronounced dead on arrival, while Ferguson was transferred to Port of Spain General Hospital, where he remained in stable condition up to last night.

Last Friday, between three and five p.m., there were four murders in the Diego Martin area.

The first took place on Sierra Leone Road, where gunmen walked up to 20-year-old Andre Ross, who was walking along the road, and shot him several times about the body.

 He was killed on the spot.

Around five o’clock, the three other murders occurred at a house located off Pierre Felix Road, Diego Martin.

Four gunmen climbed a steep, treacherous hill and located their target, gang member Timothy James. He was outside his house when they found him.

 Police said James was very well known to them and was currently out on bail on gun possession charges, but although he was also a suspect in a number of shootings in the area, there was never enough evidence against him that would lead to an arrest.

Police said the gunmen shot James twice, killing him on the spot.

His parents—George James, 50, and Theresa Nelson, 55—walked out their small house when they heard the gunshots. The gunmen then turned on them and opened fire, hitting both James and Nelson several times about their bodies. They, too, died instantly.

Yesterday, a 21-year-old Diego Martin man turned himself in at West End Police Station in relation to the murders of Timothy James and his parents.

He joins a 32-year-old man from Mercer Road, Diego Martin who was arrested on Sunday in connection with the murder of the family.

The murder toll for the year to date stood at 128 up to last night.

 The murder toll on May 9 last year was 136.