Wednesday, February 21, 2018

C-section doctor’s full statement

 Following is the full statement by Dr Javed Chinnia to the NCRHA outlining his activities from 8 a.m. on March 1, 2014 to 8 a.m. on March 2, 2014:

“I arrived at the hospital at 8.15 a.m. that morning and proceeded to the antenatal ward for rounds. At about 8.45 a.m. Dr Mitchell called me to discuss a patient who was in the birth department for whom I recommended for a Caesarean Section.

Dr Mitchell joined me and we completed the ward round, seeing both our unit patients as well as others who’s units were not on duty. We identified two patients in need of urgent Caesarean Section, one of whom was Quelly Ann Cottle.

 I then went to the birth department where I saw an admission who needed an emergency Caesarean Section and I informed Dr Bissoon who was already in the operating theatre. This was about 11 a.m.

At this time I had also discussed  with Dr Bissoon the patients seen on the gynaecology ward as she had done the rounds there.

I was informed that the patients were all stable and did not require my review. I went to the emergency department  where I saw the patients who were waiting there until I was called back to the birth department to review a patient in labour. This patient also required an emergency Caesarean Section.

By 2 p.m. I had joined Dr Bissoon in the operating theatre to offer her a break after having done three emergency  Caesarean Sections for the day already. We then proceeded with the first urgent Caesarean Section from the antenatal ward which was Ms Cottle. While performing the operation an injury to the fetal scalp was found at delivery and the Paediatrician was informed. The mother was also immediately informed as she was under spinal anaesthesia. The rest of the procedure was routine and a tubal ligation was also done as requested by the patient. I remained in the operating theatre until the baby was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit. At 5 p.m. I left the compound to have some lunch. At about 5.45 p.m. I was informed that the neonate’s condition had worsened and the prognosis was poor. I then returned to the hospital at 6 p.m. The rest of the evening was spent counselling the patient and keeping a close watch on her blood pressure as she had a hypertensive disorder if pregnancy. Once she was stable I left at 9.15 p.m. to have a shower and I returned for a rounds in the birth department at 11 p.m. and then went to rest.

I then started ward rounds on my unit patients at about 5.30 a.m. on March 2, 2013 until 8 a.m. when we finished on the natal ward.”