Thursday, January 18, 2018

Car flips, woman dies in accident


(BI) Feedloader User

A 23-year-old died yesterday in a vehicular accident one month after purchasing her vehicle.

Around 3 a.m., Kerri Rattan was proceeding south on the Solomon Hochoy Highway just after the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba when she crashed into one of the barrels being used to block off the incomplete police surveillance bays. Relatives said she flipped several times before landing in the highway's median.

Rattan was rushed to the San Fernando General Hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries four hours later.

The vehicle, a white Cedia Lancer, is being kept at the Mon Repos Police Station.

She lived at Malgretoute Village in Princes Town.

Her sister, Tisha Rattan-Ramjattan, 27, said her only sibling left home at about 4 p.m. to attend a dinner at the University of the West Indies (UWI). Her mother Shanti Rattan called her hours later and was told that her daughter was liming with friends at MovieTowne at Invaders Bay.

Her father Jaipersad Rattan, 48, said, "We got a call about 3 o'clock and she was somewhere in Chaguanas, we got another call at 4 o'clock and was told to come to the hospital that she was injured severely. Everybody home here went. They said she was critical and suffered multiple injuries. But we still thought she would have lived. We did not think she would have died."

He said he could not say if his daughter was wearing her seatbelt but he said her body was found outside the vehicle.

Rattan was a quality control co-ordinator. She graduated from UWI last year with a BSc in Industrial Engineering with upper second class honours.

A tearful Rattan recalled the last conversation he had with his daughter.

"She bought a new pair of shoes to go to the dinner and she was trying it on. She asked me how it looked and I told her look how beautiful you look."

Rattan-Ramjattan said, "She was always happy, friendly and ambitious, she wanted to live life to its fullest."

Rattan said, "She was always a winner, always a leader until she died."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made because the family is awaiting an autopsy result. Within the past two weeks four women have died in vehicular accidents.