Friday, February 23, 2018

Chutney singer spends night in jail

Charged with beating 2 men, cursing

CHUTNEY SINGER Nermal "Massive" Gosine spent last night in jail after the time elapsed for him to secure bail for allegedly beating two men and using obscene language.

It is alleged that around 9 p.m. on Monday, there was an altercation at Mootoo Street, Marabella, where two of Gosine's neighbours were planassed with a cutlass following which he was charged.

Gosine was taken before San Fernando Magistrate Lisa Ramsumair-Hinds at 3.15 p.m. yesterday.

Defence attorney Kevin Ratiram complained that his client was arrested at his home on Monday night and was charged around 10 a.m. yesterday.

"The police didn't bring him until 20 minutes ago (2.55 p.m.) He was at the Marabella Police Station. His family was repeatedly being told by the Marabella police that there's no vehicle. To have someone sitting in a police station from ten to half two waiting to go to court, the police should do better," Ratiram said.

He said the time Gosine was kept in custody could amount to being unlawful.

Ratiram made reference to a vehicle parked outside, waiting to take prisoners to Remand Yard, Golden Grove, Arouca.

"We know what happens when a person's matter calls around this time and there's a prison van outside," he said.

Ramsumair-Hinds said she would not speculate, but told Ratiram there had been a steady flow of court cases before her for the day and she still had other cases after Gosine's court appearance.

Gosine was later seen entering the prison truck after 4 p.m., having been unable to secure the $25,000 bail on time.

Ramsumair-Hinds had earlier read the charges which alleged that on Monday at Mootoo Street, Marabella Gosine assaulted Andrew Richardson by beating him.

He was also charged with assaulting Wayne Dharanpaul by beating him.

Gosine pleaded not guilty to both offences.

He also said he was not guilty of using obscene language in a public place to the annoyance of others at Mootoo Street.

Ratiram said his client was a businessman with no previous or pending matters.

Police prosecutor Gordon Maharaj agreed and made no objection to bail.

Ramsumair-Hinds placed him on $25,000 bail with a surety to cover all the charges and transferred the matter to the Fifth Court to be heard on January 8.