CONSTRUTORA OAS workers involved in the building of the Solomon Hochoy Highway Extension to Point Fortin downed tools yesterday, demanding outstanding salaries and better working conditions.
About 60 per cent of the workforce walked off the job around 7 a.m. and converged at the company's main facility at Golconda, San Fernando, seeking a meeting with management.
Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union (OWTU) labour relations officer Aaron Moyne said the workers complained that they were not paid full salaries. He said workers were demanding that management also address safety issues on the jobsites.
Moyne said workers were advised to return to work while the union meets with management to discuss the issues.
"Apart from the outstanding payment, the next issue is safety issues including inspection of trucks, not having regular meetings as they should and provisions of personal protective equipment," he said.
Moyne said the union met company officials at 9 a.m yesterday. "We met with the company between 9 a.m and 12 noon and the company has committed to rectify these issues," he said.
The company agreed to pay workers the outstanding balances tomorrow (Thursday), he said. "The payroll manager committed to this and all other HR issues would be addressed at a meeting on June 3. The workers are fed up with all these problems," he said.
• Last year Construtora OAS workers walked off the job threatening to cripple the multi-billion-dollar project until their demands for better working conditions were met.
• Workers are demanding a 20 per cent wages increase