UNDERCOVER: Police constable Melvin George, left, leaves the Siparia Magistrates’ Court yesterday. —Photo: TREVOR WATSON

Tools

Cop in court for rape of minor

...Magistrate: No contact with alleged victim

By SIPARIA \\\\\ Nikita Braxton-Benjamin nikita.braxton@trinidadexpress.com

POLICE Constable Melvin George appeared in the Siparia Magistrates’ Court yesterday facing multiple sex charges, including rape of a minor.

George, 41, of Siparia, who is on $450,000 bail, was warned by the magistrate to have “absolutely no interaction” with the alleged victim.

The officer, who has 13 years service and last worked at the San Fernando Police Station, appeared before Senior Magistrate Joanne Connor.

She read the indictable charge that between January to March 2013 at Coconut Alley, Siparia, George had sexual intercourse with a female without her consent.

George was not called upon to plead to the charge as well as the five other charges that between December 31, 2013 and June 7, 2014 at the same location, he had sexual intercourse with a female, not his wife, who had attained the age of 14 but was not yet 16 years.

He also faced three indictable charges of having sex with a female who was not his wife and who was under the age of 14 years. 

These offences allegedly occurred between March and October 2013, also in Siparia.

The police applied to the court to amend some of the information in the charges.

Defence attorney Richard Valere did not object.

Valere later told the court he was aware his client was on $450,000 bail, an amount which he said was adequate to cover the nine charges.

Connor agreed but added, “He’s to have absolutely no interaction with the VC (victim). Do I make myself clear? None whatsoever.”

Police prosecutor Sgt Dridgenath Sookraj said a State attorney will be appointed in the case.

George, who was arrested last Thursday and obtained bail on Sunday at the Siparia CID, was ordered to return to court  August 11.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should there be police investigations into the killing of Ricardo Mohammed and the three men in Laventille last week?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather