Friday, January 19, 2018

Cops: Arrest imminent

Kidnap, murder of Devindar Siewdass

THREE weeks after the kidnapping and murder of Devindar Siewdass, the son of a Freeport businessman, police have said an arrest in the case is imminent. 

Homicide investigators said on Thursday they took the case file to Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Joan Paul-Honore and new instructions were given on how to pursue the case. 

Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing confirmed the charred remains found near Princes Town last month were those of Siewdass. 

The results of the DNA tests were returned to Trinidad from a laboratory in the United Kingdom last week Friday.

Two days later, Siewdass’s family held a funeral service. 

Police had suspected the remains found on March 22 in a forested area in Princes Town were those of Siewdass, who had been kidnapped three days earlier. However, there needed to be legally satisfying proof of identity before the family could be given the body.

The remains were discovered by police officers who had mounted a massive foot and aerial search in forested terrain off Matriste Road, Nagee Road, Hindustan. 

Police made the discovery beneath a burning heap of tyres found more than 450 metres from a house. Police immediately arrested six people, among them three women, who were in a house near to the burning heap. 

Investigators searched other houses in the area and seized a bloody mattress and cutlass from an unfinished house, and a pair of sunglasses believed to belong to Siewdass. 

Investigators also arrested a police constable and detained him for several days. 

The police officer and the other six were released from custody pending the DNA test results.

Siewdass, 29, of Rudy Avenue, Siewdass Road, Freeport, was last seen on the evening of March 20 as he left his home driving a black Libero PBL 396. 

The vehicle was recovered by police, abandoned in Forres Park, Claxton Bay, the next day. 

Police were told Siewdass did not inform anyone where he was headed.

According to police, Devindar Siewdass’s father, Annarood Siewdass, received a telephone call hours later, demanding $2 million for his return.