Tools

Cops: Main suspect operating freely for years

By Mark Bassant CCN Senior Multimedia Investigative Journalist

SENIOR police sources say the main man who fired the fatal shots that killed senior counsel Dana Seetahal on Sunday morning has been operating with impunity for more than four years. 

No arrest has been made three days later.

Intelligence sources said the Carapo man (named called), who received the call to wipe out Seetahal was “not only well connected” but is also “feared in the underworld by many”.

He and two other men from Curepe with the initials NM and the other from Malabar called DB are being sought by police for questioning into the execution-style killing of Seetahal. 

NM, intelligence sources say, was tipped off by a police officer and has since gone underground.

Police sources say the Carapo man, like NM and DB, has ties with a Muslim-based organisation and was released from jail in 2011 after beating a murder rap. “He has been a major player in bringing in guns and ammunition into this country from Venezuela and one or two other countries,” said one source.

In 2007, he had escaped from Golden Grove prison and months later surrendered to the police.

Last August, sources inside the Customs and Excise Division said they had obtained information that the man had ordered nine millimetre ammunition and 10.62 ammunition through a relative in the US.

The package was sent to Piarco International Airport but no one ever came forward to collect it.

They say the package with the illegal ammunition is still lodged at the property keeper’s room at the airport.

Sources say they have since been piecing together a profile about this man who they are saying is “now running the show”, and has been fingered in a number of killings in the last few months, but yet he remains elusive.

He was last spotted in the Laventille area, but since then the trail has gone cold about his whereabouts in the last two days.

Well-placed intelligent sources said a file about the man’s activities as it relates to his gun-running was sent to the Ministry of National Security some time ago.

 Minister of National Security Gary Griffith would neither confirm nor deny the existence of this file. 

He said yesterday, “You know I cannot answer those questions. Any report that is confidential or secret, and any matter that is being investigated by the police, I would unfortunately not discuss with anyone.”

Well-placed senior police sources said the phone calls between the man in the Port of Spain jail and the shooter that took place over the last few weeks were intercepted and are now being examined carefully by the police.

The team of investigators headed by ACP Wayne Dick were locked in meetings yesterday afternoon to discuss the latest developments in the case.

ACP Dick said last night: “We do have some positive leads and we are pursuing it relentlessly and once we have no hiccups the perpetrators will be brought to justice.”

 
Let us know your thoughts
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think Trinidad and Tobago is overreacting to the Ebola threat?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather