Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar places a flower on the casket of murdered six-year-old Keyana Cumberbatch during the child's funeral service held at the Council of Elder Spiritual Shouter Baptist Empower Hall, Maloney. At left is Bishop Barbara Gray-Burke. At right is Keyana' s mother Simone Williams, holding a stuffed teddy bear. PHOTO by JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK


Cops: We searched for Keyana

By Multimedia Desk

The Police Service today issued a press statement, outlining its response to the missing persons report filed by the relatives of six-year-old Keyana Cumberbatch. Keyana disappeared two Mondays ago, and was found four days later. She has been sexually assaulted and killed. The following is the full statement of the Police Service -

This is an update with respect to the allegation made concerning the action of Officers of the Maloney Police Post on the evening when the report was made concerning the disappearance of little Keyana Cumberbatch.

The following is the sequence of events:

At 7:10 pm on Monday 25th November, 2013, a relative of Keyana Cumberbatch went to the Maloney Police Post and made a report that the child was discovered missing around 6:40 pm from the home of her grandmother. In keeping with standard procedure as outlined in the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service Standing Order 51, the officers of the Maloney Police Post recorded the report in the station diary and at 7:20 pm, communicated with officers of their mobile patrol which was out in the district, to begin a search for the missing child. A photograph of the child was requested and same was provided by the relative.

Again, in keeping with policy, the Homicide Bureau Region II, which is based at the Arouca Police Station was informed.

The Homicide Bureau received the report at 9:50 pm and within ten minutes of the receipt of the report, despatched a party of officers to join in the search. This was at 10:10 pm.

At 10:53pm on Monday 25th November, Simone Williams mother of Keyana Cumberbatch went to the Maloney Police Post to lodge a report of the missing child and was informed of the report made by the relative at 7:10 pm and that a search was already in progress. Officers were out for the entire night. These officers, (Homicide) returned to the Maloney Post at 5:35 am on Tuesday 26th November, 2013 and conducted interviews of persons while other Units were out searching.

During the entire night of Monday 25th November, 2013, searches continued, several persons were interviewed; statements were recorded as reflected in the Maloney Police Post station diary. These searches continued all day Tuesday 26th November, 2013, Wednesday 27th November and Thursday 28th, up until the body of the child was found.

Again, the TTPS extend condolences to the parents and relatives of little Keyana and want to take this opportunity to assure them and members of the public that we remain committed to the protection of life and property and will expend all resources in ensuring that the perpetrator of this crime will be brought to justice
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you support the appointment of Presbyterian minister Rev Joy Abdul-Mohan as an Independent Senator?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust


More Weather