Sunday, February 18, 2018

Cops to charge 5 with $100,000 boat engines robbery


reWARD: Ag Assistant Commissioner of Police Stephen Ramsubhag (fifth from right) with senior staff and the officers who received commendations yesterday. From left are Sgt Hayden Hannays, PC Leslie Ann Bacquoin, Insp Errol Campbell, PC Cynthia Kassie, Ag Insp Emile Williams, PC Clyde Best, PC Shawn Batson, PC Williams Bristol, PC Suzette Vidale and PC Anderson Richard. —Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

Mark Fraser

WESTERN Division detectives were yesterday in the process of laying several charges against five men who were arrested on Wednesday morning at the Trinidad and Tobago Yacht Club, Bayshore.

When the men were arrested, they were allegedly attempting to escape with three boat engines valued at more than $100,000.

The men are facing several robbery charges, while one of them is facing two additional charges of possession of marijuana and ammunition after his house was searched on Thursday and the items found, police said.

The ages of those in custody range between 23 and 35, and they live at Beetham Gardens, Sea Lots, San Juan and East Dry River.

It was expected they would have appeared before a Port of Spain magistrate yesterday, but because of the discovery of the drugs and ammunition, the appearance was delayed, said police. 

They will appear before a magistrate on Monday, according to the officers.

Two other men who were arrested close to the yacht club shortly before the robbery and who were believed to have been a part of the group of robbers, have since been released, police said.

Around 3.30 a.m. on Wednesday, it is alleged the men entered the Yacht Club, off the Western Main Road in Bayshore, and proceeded to tie up three security officers who were on duty at the time before robbing them of cash and their cellphones.

The men then started loading the boat engines into the tray of a van, before officers of the Rapid Response Unit who were making a routine check on the compound noticed what was taking place.

Upon spotting the officers, the men attempted to flee the scene but with further assistance from ASP Ramlochan and Insps Mohammed, Hospedales and other Western Division officers and a national security helicopter, they were spotted  running along the shoreline and later captured.