AN INQUEST has been ordered into the death of 23-year-old doubles vendor Nathaniel Baggy.
Investigators, with the evidence gathered, approached Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard SC yesterday morning for advice on whether a charge of murder should be laid against a man who was arrested in connection with the killing.
However, after viewing the files, Gaspard ordered that a coroner's inquest be held to determine if there was sufficient evidence to charge the man with murder, police said.
The suspect, who has been in custody since Saturday, has since been released from the Port of Spain Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on St Vincent Street.
Baggy was stabbed once to the abdomen by a man at the corner of Tragarete Road and Cipriani Boulevard, Port of Spain, while paying his brother Nicholas a visit.
At the time, Nicholas was selling doubles when the man reportedly refused to pay $4, the price of one doubles which he had already eaten.
An argument erupted between the man and Nicholas before the man went into his car and drove off. He returned shortly after and attacked Nicholas before Baggy intervened and tried to make peace, police sources said. He was then stabbed.
Baggy had arrived at the location minutes earlier after attending a magic show in celebration of his 23rd birthday.