Dad dies from suspected dengue
Sue-Ann Wayow email@example.com
A 58-year-old man died yesterday at San Fernando General Hospital after being treated for symptoms of suspected dengue.
The death of Hamiff Ali, of Calcutta Settlement No 2, Freeport, has triggered a health alert in his hometown, with the
Ministry of Health ordering that the area be sprayed to limit the number of mosquitoes breeding in the area.
The virus that causes dengue is carried by the female aedes egypti mosquito and more cases of dengue are seen during the rainy season.
Ali was a former employee of the Ministry of Finance’s Inland Revenue Department in Sangre Grande, according to his nephew-in-law Darryl Gopaul. Gopaul said Ali spent several days at hospital, being treated for breathing complications, and died early yesterday.
“This has come as a shock to everybody. His death was unexpected. He was a very quiet and humble family man,” said Gopaul.
Ali, who is survived by his wife Judy Ali, was the father of three.
Anil Balliram, Local Government representative for the area, told the Express that when informed of Ali’s death he contacted the Insect Vector Control Department and that spraying was expected to begin as soon as possible.