RESIDENTS of Debe and Penal gathered with placards as they called for the Solomon Hochoy Highway Extension to Point Fortin to be built.
In a show of support for Government's plans, about 70 residents stood near the construction site yesterday morning.
They told reporters that the Highway Re-Route Movement, the group against the construction of the highway, has been misrepresenting the people of Debe and Penal.
"The people from the Re-Route Movement are giving the area a bad name by saying the people from Debe are protesting against the highway...We are interested in having the highway constructed for the betterment of the people and the country," resident Nizam Mohammed said.
The Debe to Point Fortin Highway Action Committee said the building of the highway had become of utmost importance as it would help to alleviate traffic problems.
Mohammed also said that they were assured that measures would be put in place to help stop flooding in the area.
He said the group has no plans to confront the Re-Route Movement or to act against any orders that may be made by the court with regards to the highway.
Another resident, Edward Moodie, claimed that only one resident from the Highway Re-Route Movement stands to be affected by the building of the highway.
The group's support yesterday for the construction of the highway is contrary to the Re-Route Movement's call for the project to be scrapped.
Two Wednesdays ago, Minster of National Security Jack Warner and members of the Defence Force demolished the Movement's camp site which was located near the construction area.
It was rebuilt three days later by the group at a different site but broken down by them last week Monday.
A group of women then took their plight in front of the Hall of Justice, Port of Spain.
Yesterday the group leader, environmental activist Dr Wayne Kublalsingh, said the women plan to enter the court.
"They will take some papers from the lawyers and they will go into the Hall of Justice and they will file those papers next week."