Thursday, December 14, 2017

Dibe man shot dead

A mother of Dibe, Long Circular, mourned the loss of her 29-year-old son, who was gunned down shortly after 1 p.m. yesterday near their home.

And earlier yesterday, a man with a gunshot wound to the back of his head was found dead off the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway in El Socorro, bringing the year's murder toll to 242.

On August 1 last year, the murder toll was 234.

According to police, around 1 p.m., several gunshots were heard in Dibe area and when residents came out, they found the body of Eustice Barbour, 29, about 15 feet down a precipice off Dundonald Hill.

The Express arrived on the scene around 3 p.m. and met Barbour's mother, Serita Charles, who said she could not think of a reason why someone wanted her son dead.

Charles said her son had been shot in the leg about two months ago and was still recuperating from that injury.

He did not work anywhere after being shot.

A team of officers, including Insp Henry Dann of the St James CID, as well as officers of the Homicide Bureau, Port of Spain, visited the scene, where they conducted enquiries.

Police said they are yet to determine a motive.

Charles said the loss of her son felt unreal.

"I just feel like this is a movie that is happening in front of me and there is nothing I could do about it," he said.

Barbour's body was taken to the Port of Spain Mortuary and a post-mortem is expected to be done today at the Forensic Science Centre, St James.

Earlier yesterday, around 4 a.m. police said they received a call from a member of the public who stopped to assist a man found lying off the West-bound lane of the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway, near Caribbean Chemicals.

The man was heading into Port of Spain but stopped to help the man, only to discover he had a gaping wound to the back of his head and was still alive.

A team of officers, including Cpl Neville Arcia of the Barataria Police Station, along with PCs Moses, Titre, Sandy and Williams, rushed to the scene and took the man to the Port of Spain General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

He had not been identified up to press time last night.

He was described, however, as being of African descent, dark in complexion, six feet, two inches tall, and weighing approximately 250 pounds.

Police said the "John Doe" was wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans, grey and white sneakers with red trim, and he had on a dark coloured watch.

The Police Homicide Bureau is continuing investigations in both cases.