Anita Elie, 78, pictured here with her granddaughter Natessa Alexander.
Disabled woman, 78, dies in house fire
SUSAN MOHAMMED firstname.lastname@example.org
AN elderly woman enfeebled by a stroke died in a house fire in San Fernando today. Anita Elie, 78, of Newbold Street, Navet Village, could not escape the flames that broke out at around 8.20a.m.
Her grand daughter Natessa Alexander said she was asleep when she was awakened by someone screaming that there was a fire. Alexander, a police officer attached to the Marabella police Station, said she found fire coming from her grandmother's room, and her father trying to extinguish the blaze with buckets of water. Neighbours also tried putting out the fire. However, Elie, who suffered a stroke several years ago, could not be saved. Her body was found near the bed.
Elie was the mother of six, and grandmother of eight. Senior Superintendent Cecil Santana, Superintendent Anthony James, ASP Zamsheed Mohammed led a group of officers to the scene. Police suspect that an electrical fault may have started the fire, since the flames were concentrated around the ceiling.
(from the Multimedia Desk)