CALYPSONIAN and attorney Rondell Donawa added to his list of achievements when he was crowned Calypso Monarch of the San Fernando Dimanche Gras, held on Wednesday night.
Donawa, 25, thrilled the judges with a fluid stage performance of his lyrical presentation "My Vision" at Skinner Park, San Fernando.
The winning song by Donawa spoke of the social ills plaguing Trinidad and Tobago, such as crime, illicit drugs and low morality.
He made a plea to those in authority to make positive changes for the good of the country.
Donawa was South Junior Calypso Monarch in 2004 and 2005 and also the Unattached Calypso Monarch in 2005.
He has placed second at the National Junior Calypso Monarch competition on four occasions and was a finalist in the National Calypso Monarch competition in 2005 and 2006.
In 2011, he was called to the Bar after graduating from London Metropolitan University with an upper second class LLB (Hons) degree, following which he pursued the Bar Vocational Course at Cardiff University Law School in Wales.
He dethroned last year's winner, Selvon "Mister Shack" Noel, who delivered a crowd-pleasing double entendre presentation of Road Protest.
In third place was Victoria "Queen Victoria" Cooper, who sang "D Betrayal".
In the King category of the King and Queen of Carnival (South), Leroy Prieto won with his portrayal of "King Chakra" from the band Gems of the Chakras, presented by Legall and Friends.
Marlon Rampersad's portrayal of "Spirit of the Underworld", from Ivan Kalicharan's Rise of the Olympians presentation, took second.
Third place went to last year's winner Fernando Marchan for his portrayal of "Pterois the Predator Lion Fish" from the Owen C. Hinds Foundation presentation From the Sea They Came.
In the Queen category, Zoharia Maharaj, with her portrayal of "Drinks Galore" from the presentation Let's Drink to That, seemed the clear favourite from the loud cheers from the small but appreciative crowd.
Second place to went to Kalicharan's queen, Laura Rampersad, portraying "Goddess of Light and Beauty"; while Rosemarie Kuru Jagessar placed third with "Ptesan-Wi (Teesanw) Carrier of the Peace Pipe" from Lakota Dream.
SAN FERNANDO CALYPSO MONARCH
1. Rondell Donawa "My Vision"
2. Selvon "Mister Shack" Noel "Road Protest"
3. Victoria "Queen Victoria" Cooper "D Betrayal".
4. Tameika Darius "Ask No Questions"
5. Joanne Foster "More Than An Oil Drum"
SAN FERNANDO KING OF CARNIVAL
1. Leroy Prieto "King Chakra" (Gem of the Chakras)
2. Marlon Rampersad "Spirit of the Underworld" (Rise of the Olympians)
3. Fernando Marchan "Pterois, the Predator Lion Fish" (Owen C Hinds Foundation)
4. Lionel Jagessar Jr "Chief Matoskah - Protector of the Medicine Skull" (Lakota Dream)
5. John Dick Lewis "King Demali" (The Nation's People)
SAN FERNANDO QUEEN OF CARNIVAL
1. Zoharia Maharaj "Drinks Galore" (Let's Drink to That)
2. Laura Rampersad "Goddess of Light and Beauty" (Rise of the Olympians)
3. Rosemarie Kuru Jagessar "Ptesan-Wi (Teesanw) - Carrier of the Peace Pipe (Lakota Dream)
4. Gloria Dallsingh "Hera's Sacred Bird" (Rise of the Olympians)
5. Ermine De Bique-Meade "Queen Lolnana" (Owen C Hinds Foundation)