The San Fernando Hospital at Chancery lane, San Fernando. PHOTO BY TREVOR WATSON
Done by December
...completion date on San Fernando Teaching Hospital set for year's end
SUE-ANN WAYOW email@example.com
THE San Fernando Teaching Hospital, the completion date of which has been revised on several occasions, is expected to be ready by December.
In January, chief executive officer of the South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA), Anil Gosine, said the facility would have been ready for use by the end of March.
However in June, he said work was still being done and would not have completed until December.
On Tuesday, Dr Lackram Bodoe, SWRHA's chairman said: "Work is in progress we don't have a definite time as yet but we are getting the impression that it will be ready by the end of the year."
The Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) is responsible for the project.
In June, Gosine said the bridge link, bed lifts and continued works on the inpatient clinics were the main setbacks. The San Fernando Teaching Hospital at Chancery Lane is an extension of the San Fernando General Hospital.
UDeCOTT's communications manager Roxanne Stapleton-Whyms, said the work on the bridge link was 75 per cent completed, the bed lift tower, 40 per cent completed and work on the Inpatient Ward area was 35 per cent completed.
The 18-level hospital is equipped with modern lecture halls, seminar rooms, laboratories and conference rooms, and rooms for outpatient clinics. There are also rooms for doctors on call. The hospital will accommodate 216 beds to ease the problem of overcrowding.
Construction of the multi-storey building began under the People's National Movement government, at an initial cost of $296 million. The completed project is expected to cost almost $2 billion.
On December 28, last year, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar officially commissioned the building.