EXPRESS journalists Sue Ann Wayow and Jermaine Cruickshank have won awards for excellence in agricultural journalism in Trinidad and Tobago.
Wayow won "Best News Story" for her report "Pleading for Government Help" from the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) and the Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute (CARDI) in their 2013 media awards.
Cruickshank won for Best Feature Photograph.
In a press release, the agricultural institutes said the awards were adjudicated by a team of highly-qualified professionals in the field of media and agriculture.
IICA’s Representative in Trinidad and Tobago, Gregg Rawlins, and CARDI’s Executive Director, Dr. Arlington Chesney said the awards are about recognising journalists for their work on reporting on agriculture and all facets of the sector.
Rawlins said in the release: "We acknowledge all the journalists who took part in the awards and from the feedback from judges, the calibre of entries was particularly high this year and I want to congratulate all the winners".
In the release Dr. Chesney said: "We value the media and we do believe the fraternity has an important role to play in reporting on the agriculture sector as it is linked to life and livelihoods, health and nutrition, urban poverty and employment and much more and that is why we celebrate excellence in agricultural journalism via these awards".
IICA and CARDI said other companies and organizations on board to sponsor prizes in the competition are are State-owned National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago (NGC), Caribbean Chemicals and National Agricultural Marketing & Development Corporation (NAMDEVCO).
The list of the winners include:
- Best news story - Sue-Ann Wayow, Trinidad Express for "Pleading For Government Help¡".
- Best business feature - Shaliza Hassanali, Trinidad Guardian for "Fishermen Get Pushed Out".
- Best human interest story - Shaliza Hassanali, Trinidad Guardian for "One Man Stands in the Way".
- Best news/feature story - Sterling Henderson, i95.5 FM Radio for Challenges of livestock farmers in T&T.
- Best news/feature story - Khamal Georges, CNC 3 for "Protest on the High Seas".
- Best news/ feature video - Vern Teekasingh, CNC 3 for "Protest on the High Seas".
- Best News Photograph ¡V Mr. Sureash Chotai, Newsday for "Farmer's Flood".
- Best Feature Photograph- Mr. Jermaine Cruickshank, Trinidad Express for "Bird's Eye View¡"