Friday, February 23, 2018

Family in shock, had no clue

Murder-suicide at the Creek

THE family members of Donald Ragoo and Pamela Maharaj, who died in a suspected suicide pact on Friday, had no clue the couple were planning to die or destroy properties.

They said they were still in shock over what has happened.

On Friday, Ragoo, 58,

of Southern Main Road,

Claxton Bay, was dis­cov­­-

ered dead next to Maha­raj, 41. The bodies that were found around 5 p.m. lay on a reclaimed piece of land being prepared as part of the highway extension project.

The couple lived in Cre­scent Drive, Macau­lay, and had no children. 

Police said they have not

ruled out any possi­bi­­lities in the deaths and would know more after relatives were interviewed and the autopsy results known.

Before killing himself, Ragoo set fire to his house in Crescent Drive that he had put up for sale and also to a bar in Southern Main Road, Claxton Bay, he had lost in the court matter involving relatives of his first wife, who died eight years ago.

Maharaj’s sister, Ani­ta Maharaj, said the couple were depressed after losing

their house and bar, follow-

ing a property dis­pute that went to court.

Maharaj told reporters on Friday: “They were very depressed and last year, Donald found out that he had cancer. He built that house from scratch and when he lost the case, they told him that he had to leave his home. They did not have anywhere to go.”

Yesterday, when the Sun­day Express visited Maharaj’s home in Rea­lise Road, Princes Town, relatives were unwilling to give much information about Maharaj. But one said he spoke to Maharaj frequently; he never sus­pected anything unusual and her death was a shock.

Ragoo’s nephew, Baldath

Ragoo, told the Sunday Express he, too, and other fa­mily members were astounded.

He said: “We had no idea

of what was going on. He (Donald) never really spoke

to any of us about his prob­lems. We just got a call from

him saying, ‘Come to the creek and you will find my

van and my body,’ and when

we got that call, we panicked. You must panic when you get a call like that.”

He said after the autop­­-

sies were completed tomor-

row, funeral arrangements will be made. He said the Ragoo family was liaising with the Maharaj family to have a joint funeral ser­vice for the couple.

Sgt Maharaj of the Ho­m­i-

­cide Bureau (South) is con-

­tin­uing investi­gations.