Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Farewell for girl killed on PBR

The Divine Destiny Worship Centre in Diego Martin was packed to capacity yesterday morning as friends and relatives of 12-year-old Kadaisha Edwards came out in their numbers to pay their final respects.

Edwards, a Form One pupil at the Belmont Secondary School, was killed on March 13, along the Priority Bus Route, when she was hit by a vehicle driven by a member of the T&T Defence Force. At the time, she was crossing the road with her mother, Tessa Robertson, in the vicinity of Morvant Junction.

Her funeral service took place early yesterday at the Worship Centre, following which, her body was taken to the Crematorium along Long Circular Road, St James, where it was cremated.

Colonel Rodney Smart, commanding officer of the T&T Defence Force, attended the funeral service alongside Captain Richard Lynch and other officers of the regiment.

Contacted for comment yesterday, Civil Military Affairs Officer for the Defence Force, Major Al Alexander, once again extended his condolences on behalf of the T&T Defence Force to the family of young Kadaisha Edwards.

“We continue to render support and assistance to the family of the young girl who lost her life, as well as to the servicemen, the officer and the major, who were involved in the accident. We know the matter is a very sensitive one, and we are treating it as such. The entire Defence Force remains supportive of the affected families and continues to mourn with them during this difficult time,” Major Alexander said.

The major also confirmed that investigations were still continuing into the circumstances of the accident, and that he has been furnished with a preliminary report on the incident.

On March 13 last, Kadaisha and her mother were walking along the Priority Bus Route to their Phase Five, Beetham Gardens home after a church service in Barataria. At about 9 p.m. upon reaching the vicinity of the Morvant Junction, the two decided to cross the Bus Route, from south to north.

According to police reports, at that time, the traffic light was green.

As Robertson and her daughter were crossing the roadway, a Toyota Hilux motor vehicle driven by a soldier of the Defence Force, who was at the time transporting a senior official to Knox Street, Port-of-Spain, came into contact with the 12-year-old.

Kadaisha was rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital, but she was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Investigations are continuing.