Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Father of 2 shot dead by trap-gun

POLICE believe a home-made trap-gun meant to scare animals fired and killed Barrackpore labourer Ramraj Ramnarine on Sunday. 

Ramnarine, who would have turned 44 today, died after he was shot in his back in a forested area in South Oropouche Road, Barrack­pore. 

According to a police report, at around 6 p.m., Ramnarine accompanied his friend, Terry Singh, of Rochard Douglas Road, Barrackpore, who went to attend to his cattle in South Oropouche Road. 

Singh, 32, told police he heard a loud explosion and saw Ramnarine fall to the ground. 

Singh ran for help and returned to the scene with officers of the Barrackpore Police Station. 

A district medical offi­cer pronounced Ramnarine dead at the scene and the body was removed to the San Fernando mortuary. 

Officers of the Homicide Division (South) and Barrackpore station returned to the area yesterday with Singh and reco­-

vered the trap-gun. 

Police said the home-made device was fashioned using a rat trap with a spring and a me­tal pipe attached. 

Officers found one spent shell and a live round in the device. 

Ramnarine’s father, 90-year-old Sonny Ramnarine, said he found the incident suspicious. 

“His wife said he went to tie animals but where he went, they don’t usually have ‘pipe-guns’ (trap-guns). And even if he was to get shot, he would get shot in his legs or sides but not in his back,” said the deceased’s father. 

The Express was told police officers of the Barrackpore station and Prae­dial Larceny Unit had on several occasions spoken to Singh about complaints against him leaving his animals to feed on their land.  

Police suspect the trap-gun may have been set to scare off the animals. 

Sonny Ramnarine said he last saw his son on Friday when he came to visit him and other relatives. 

He said the deceased was a father of two. He had previously lived in the United States for approximately seven years. 

Ramnarine, he said, worked as a labourer with a private contractor. 

An autopsy is expec­ted to be performed at the Forensic Science Centre in Federation Park today. 

Acting Sgt Richardson of Barrackpore Police Station is continuing investigations.